Toyota Rolls Out All-New RAV4. Toyota Motor Corporation announces the launch of its completely redesigned RAV4 in Japan and the start of sales at all nationwide Toyota “Corolla” and “Netz” dealers, and Toyota Mobility Tokyo, Inc. The first-generation RAV4 debuted in 1994, when body-on-frame four-wheel drive vehicles were positioned as off-road vehicles. The RAV4 would go on to play a pivotal role in the development of a new market for the passenger-friendly sport utility vehicle (SUV/crossover SUV). New models continue to be launched in the ever-expanding crossover SUV market.
Based on creating a “Robust Accurate Vehicle with 4 Wheel Drive,” the new RAV4 development concept blends the power and sophistication of an SUV, achieving top-class generous rear cargo space and outstanding driving performance realized by a new 4WD system. The elevated cabin design emphasizes passenger convenience, featuring easy-to-use open trays and cup holders. The latest Toyota Safety Sense preventive safety package comes standard in all models, and the available Connected Services offer a safe, secure, comfortable, and convenient drive experience.
The world’s first Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system enables precise and stable steering by adopting a torque vectoring mechanism, which independently distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels according to driving conditions in addition to the front and rear wheels. It also incorporates a disconnect mechanism that transmits driving force to the rear wheels when 4WD driving is deemed unnecessary, significantly reducing energy loss and improving fuel efficiency. The chief engineer in charge of development, Yoshikazu Saeki, explains, “We aimed to develop a car that stimulates the curiosity of customers, inspiring their desire to try something new and to experience the joy of driving anywhere, anytime, and as far as they want.”
- Sales outlets Toyota “Corolla” and “Netz” dealers across Japan, and Toyota Mobility Tokyo, Inc.
- Monthly sales target for Japan 3,000 units
- Reveal event at dealers Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21
- Takaoka Plant, Toyota Motor Corporation
- Nagakusa Plant, Toyota Industries Corporation
Iconic, robust SUV design and enhanced visibility for driver
- Guided by the design concept of Adventure and Refined, the exterior seamlessly blends an active and robust design exhibiting elements of waku-doki (Japanese for ‘heart-pumping excitement’) with elegant sophistication suitable for an urban setting. Large-diameter tires lend a powerful stance for off-road performance, producing the SUV’s signature “lifted-up” look.
- Two octagons intersect at a 90-degree angle to create a “cross-octagon” structure, and widespread use of polygons on the exterior produce a distinctive look, accentuating a tough, stable presence.
Adventure, iconic off-road vehicle grade
- Adventure grade vehicles sport a dedicated front grill and front skid plate, lending a powerful carriage and forward-leaning body. The front bumper and front fog lamp bezel further enhance the “lifted-up look” of the body. The exclusively designed 19-inch aluminum wheels and large wheel arch molding emphasize exceptional drive stability, putting prominence into the new RAV4’s off-road image.
- Available in eight colors including Urban Khaki, which was newly developed exclusively for the Adventure grade. Four two-tonal color options are available for pairing with the newly developed Ash Gray Metallic roof.
Enhanced visibility from driver’s seat
- Clear forward visibility is secured by the positioning of the lower instrument panel and windshield wipers that are hidden from view within the cabin, imparting a feeling of spaciousness. Optimally placed side-view mirrors and quarter windows enable excellent forward visibility. Side-rear visibility is also improved with the enlarged rear-quarter glass and smaller pillars at the back of the rear doors.
Rear cargo space that suits any occasion convenient elevated cabin
Rear cargo space that suits any occasion
- Class-leading 580-liter cargo capacity is attained even when the rear seats are in use. A reclining rear seat with a 60/40 split and cargo-area deck offering two height levels create a space that can flexibly accommodate a variety of shapes and sizes. Flipping the resin two-height level deck over reveals a plastic surface, ideal for carrying wet or dirty objects.
- Foot-activated power liftgate allows opening and closing of the rear hatch when the smart key is detected.
Convenient elevated cabin
- The cabin features open trays for ease of use on both the driver seat side and passenger seat side of the instrument panel as well as on the center console to hold small items. Four additional USB charging points (two inside the console box and two in the rear) come standard in all models for added convenience.
Reliable on-and off-road driving performance and outstanding fuel efficiency
Confident and Natural driving
- The concept of Confident and Natural gives way to a driver-focused feel and ride comfort. Exceptional vehicle stability (confidence) permits handling on uneven road surfaces and in challenging conditions such as cross-winds, while natural and accurate handling enables responsive steering to produce a confident and natural driving experience.
Four-wheel-drive integrated control AWS Integrated Management (AIM) (for all four-wheel-drive models)
- Control of driving power, four-wheel-drive, braking, and steering integrated. The driver-selectable multi-terrain select, trail mode, and driving mode realize optimal driving performance for any road condition and driving situation. The RAV4 achieves outstandingly stable steering, driving performance, and comfort.
Powertrain (gas-powered vehicles)
- A TNGA concept-based 2.0-liter Dynamic Force Inline 4-cylinder direct-injection engine mated to a Direct Shift-CVT continuously variable transmission realizes powerful, smooth driving, as well as excellent fuel efficiency.
- The new RAV4 realizes world-first adoption of a newly developed four-wheel drive system, Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD. A torque vectoring mechanism independently distributes torque to the left. And right rear wheels according to driving conditions in addition to the front and rear wheels. A disconnect mechanism transmits driving force to rear wheels when 4WD driving deemed unnecessary, significantly reducing energy loss and improving fuel efficiency.
Powertrain (hybrid models)
- Hybrid models equipped with an all-new 2.5-liter hybrid system featuring a 2.5-liter Dynamic Force Engine based on the TNGA concept. Realizing both excellent fuel efficiency and smooth acceleration.
- As hybrid vehicles that employ a 4WD system, RAV4 hybrid models leverage a new E-Four that inherits cutting-edge hybrid technology. In concert with increased maximum torque of the rear wheels. A new control system allows torque distribution to the front and rear wheels to changed from between 100:0 to 20:80. Optimized control of torque distribution to the front and rear wheels during cornering enhances steering stability. An increase in rear-wheel torque contributes to a sense of safety when starting the car on inclines in snow or rain.
Safe, secure, comfortable, and convenient advanced functions
The latest Toyota Safety Sense preventive safety package comes standard on all models, and includes the following features.
- A pre-collision safety system to detect preceding vehicles or pedestrians (day and night). And bikes (day) to support collision prevention and mitigate damage.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with full-speed range that supports driving behind the car in front.
- Advanced driving assistance technology Lane Tracing Assist (LTA). That supports steering so cars remain centered in the same lane during use of Radar Cruise Control.
- Automatic High Beam (AHB) that changes between high beam and low beam headlights automatically.
- Road Sign Assist (RSA) that displays road signs recognized by the camera on the display so that drivers do not miss road signs, contributing to safe driving.
- Preceding vehicle departure notification as a supplementary function that alerts the driver if the driver not detected to have responded to the preceding vehicle starting to move.
Parking Support Brake (stationary objects, vehicles approaching from the rear)
- The new RAV4 equipped with Intelligent Clearance Sonar to detect walls and other vehicles during low-speed driving. Rear Cross Traffic Auto Brake to detect approaching vehicles in the rear when reversing to reduce or mitigate damage from collisions. And a Parking Support Brake to assist with safety in parking lots.
- To offer all customers an opportunity to experience Connected Services. All models come standard with an on-board Data Communication Module (DCM). And a three-year complimentary subscription to the T-Connect service.
An operator service allows owners to connect to dedicated operators 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and request help with setting navigation system destinations and information searches by verbally notifying the operators of conditions and preferences.
- With Help Net, the press of the Help Net button in the event of an accident or sudden illness connects the driver to a dedicated operator. And emergency vehicles can be arranged immediately based on vehicle location information. If deployment of the air bags detected, the system automatically connects to an operator. Compatibility with D-Call Net® also allows for prompt dispatch of emergency services including medical helicopters.