Toyota Rolls Out Completely Redesigned Crown: Toyota Motor Corporation announces the launch of its completely redesigned Toyota Crown in Japan and the start of sales at all nationwide “Toyota” dealers
Since its debut in 1955, the Toyota Crown has been a symbol of innovation. As illustrated by TRC*3 featured in the eighth generation Crown (1987) and anty-break-system (ABS) in the ninth generation Crown (1991), cutting-edge technologies that are now used in many vehicles featured in the Toyota Crown before any others on the road.
The new 15th generation Toyota Crown enters the world as Toyota’s 1st-generation connected car equipped with a standard DCM. 24-7 vehicle connectivity with customers brings the relationship between cars and people, even the community, to a completely new level. Services mostly focused on safety, security, comfort, and convenience, such as maintenance notifications based on real-time driving data, will be offered at the most suitable time for each customer.
Style and vehicle performance such as driving, turning, and stopping were also refined based on TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture). For driving in particular, testing was carried out at Germany’s famed Nürburgring circuit, regarded as the world’s most challenging race track. Outstanding handling realizes responsive driving performance and exceptional vehicle stability in a range of driving conditions and scenarios, at low or high speeds, on smooth or rough road surfaces.
“In inheriting the passion from the early days of the company when the 1st generation Toyota Crown was born, The world to see the ‘Japanese brains and brawn’ that went into developing this car. It was with this spirit that Toyota Motors promoted development. It feels the new Toyota Crown is a car that will take your breath away in every single aspect of the car including design, driving, and connected technology.”
The Toyota Crown, Japan’s renowned high-end car, has continued to evolve and push the limits, offering even more advanced driving performance and cutting-edge connected functions.
1. Connected services
New, enhanced services that connect the driver, city, and community:
- New Toyota Crown vehicles are all equipped with a dedicated DCM as standard, and T-Connect Service is offered free of charge for 3 years so all customers can experience the connected service.
- Customer safety and security services such as HELPNET and e-Care, as well as services that improve driving life comfort, such as Toyota’s Operator Service, are offered.
- LINE My Car Account for setting destinations with the Crown or smartphone applications and MyTOYOTA for T-Connect Drive Diagnosis to check safety/eco-driving level via smartphones will be launched.
Connectivity with cities
- In pursuit of “safety realized by the whole city” and “safety realized by one car,” ITS Connect using an ITS dedicated frequency (760MHz) is available as an option. Information beyond the range of sensors equipped in cars and signal information is exchanged directly between infrastructure systems installed in roads and cars or between cars to facilitate safe driving for drivers.
Connectivity with communities
Passable Route Map
- To support rescue operation during disasters, a “Passable Route Map” is available on the website free of charge. Information on the availability of roads in the previous 24 hours is updated every hour based on data collected by Toyota from DCM equipped vehicles. Passable Route Maps can be used for travel in disaster-stricken areas.
2. Elegant, sleek, and sporty appearance, with a high-quality interior that appeals to the senses
- With the aim of creating a sports sedan combining a bold look with sophisticated elegance, the new Toyota Crown was designed with a proportional low slung nose, the hallmark of front-engine rear-wheel-drive cars, and a sleek, elegant profile that flows smoothly from the roof to the trunk, featuring six side windows.
- RS Grades are equipped with LED sequential turn signals (front and rear) that broadly illuminate a wide periphery, and feature a mesh front grille, front bottom trim design that highlights the low center of gravity and delivers a wider profile, side skirts that contribute to enhanced control stability, special 18-inch aluminum wheels, four exhaust tailpipes, rear spoiler, and black door frames to further promote the sporty appearance.
- A moderately sized cockpit and spacious interior create a comfortable space that allows the driver to focus on driving. The simple yet fastidiously designed high-quality interior and cutting-edge devices create a point of distinction while attaining a sophisticated, modern atmosphere. To add further appeal, rich textures and impeccable design are adopted throughout, enlivening the senses and bringing texture, movement, sound, and attractiveness to the fore.
- A new dual display incorporates an 8-inch display positioned farther back for ease of viewing even while driving and a 7-inch display installed closer to the driver for ease of operability. The top surface of the instrument panel is positioned lower to produce openness, capitalizing on the placement of the double screens.
- Rear passenger leg space has been expanded in pursuit of enhanced passenger comfort. The optimized seating shape delivers optimum fit and reduces fatigue during long drives. The new Crown lineup also includes the “G-Executive” and “G-Executive Four” luxury models featuring beautiful high-end wooden panels and enhanced rear seat features such as LED door lighting and a second-row air conditioning system.
3. Responsive driving realized by the all-new TNGA-based platform
- A new platform based on TNGA used. The powertrain positioned lower to achieve a low center of gravity, and aluminum hood fenders and optimized distribution of weight between the front and rear deliver outstanding inertia specifications.
- A front high mount multi-link suspension and rear multi-link suspension, optimized steering rigidity, use of aluminum die cast front suspension tower, and application of a significantly greater amount of structural adhesive further enhances body rigidity to realize responsive handling and a stable, comfortable ride.
Pursuit of Quietness
- In addition to the optimized vehicle body frame structure and optimum arrangement of soundproofing materials, active noise control adopted. The sound emitted from the speakers utilizes phase inversion to enable noise cancellation and enhance quietness.
RS dedicated Performance Enhancement Items
- In RS Grades, special items are available to enhance driving performance. RS Grades come with 5-spoke 18-inch aluminum wheels and tires as standard, and special front stabilizers increase roll rigidity. By using linear-solenoid-type AVS, appropriate damping force instantly generated to suppress the unnecessary movement and contribute to advanced driving performance even if a large input applied. Due to the installation of the rear spoiler, downforce secured and high-speed stability enhanced. The 2.0-liter turbo Crown also equipped with rear performance damper and rear floor brace for excellent steering response and reduced vibration on bumpy road surfaces.
Drive Mode Select
- Drive Mode Select, which allows drivers to select the drive mode with the press of a button, is standard in all new Crowns. RS Grades offer a Custom Mode that allows drivers to select their preferred combination of powertrain, chassis, and air conditioning system.
- The 2.5-liter hybrid Crown adopts a hybrid system mounted with the TNGA 2.5-liter Dynamic Force Engine that achieves both great thermal efficiency and high output. The vehicle delivers exceptional driving performance and 24.0 km/liter fuel efficiency.
- The 3.5-liter Crown now the first Toyota brand car equipped with the Multi-stage Hybrid System. The Multi-stage Hybrid System a mechanism that employs a hybrid system combined with stepped gears to control the output of both the 3.5-liter V-6 engine and the drive motor to provide strong driving force from low speeds to achieve powerful performance.
By selecting an operating point for high system efficiency from the low-speed range to the high-speed range and. Thus, expanding the range of BEV driving, the system achieves both an emotional driving experience and highly fuel-efficient, pleasant cruise. Adjustments in engine rotations faithfully in line with the intentions of the driver and highly responsive motor assist made possible by 10-gear-change control regardless of the driving situation, creating a direct acceleration sensation perfectly linked to pedal operation.
The 2.0-liter Crown adopts a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbo engine whose output enhanced by the increase of intake and exhaust port efficiency. High response possible from low-rpm, while high torque secured in the entire range.
Hybrid System Main Specifications
|Max. output||(kW[PS]/rpm)||135 /6,000||220 /6,600|
|Max. torque||(N･m[kgf･m]/rpm)||221 [22.5]/3,800-5,400||356 [36.3]/5,100|
|Motor||Max. output||(kW[PS])||105 ||132 |
|Max. torque||(N･m[kgf･m])||300 [30.6]||300 [30.6]|
|Entire system*||(kW[PS])||166 ||264 |
Turbo Engine Main Specifications
|Max. output||(kW[PS]/rpm)||180 /5,200-5,800|
|Max. torque||(N･m[kgf･m]/rpm)||350 [35.7]/1,650-4,400|
4. Cutting-edge preventive safety technology including the latest Toyota Safety Sense
Preventive Safety Package Toyota Safety Sense
- The second-generation preventive safety package Toyota Safety Sense comes as standard in all Crown models. Toyota Safety Sense includes
- A pre-collision safety system that detects pedestrians (day and night) and bikes (day) to support collision prevention and mitigate damage
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with the full-speed range that supports driving behind the car in front
- Advanced driving assistance technology Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) that supports steering so cars remain centered in the same lane during the use of Radar Cruise Control
- Automatic High Beam (AHB) that changes between high beam and low beam headlights automatically
- Adaptive High Beam System (AHS) that irradiates high beams without blinding preceding or oncoming cars
- Road Sign Assist (RSA) that displays road signs recognized by the camera on the display so drivers do not miss road signs and drive safely
Parking support brakes (stationary objects, vehicles approaching from the rear, pedestrians in the rear)
- Stationary objects such as walls and pillars, and vehicle and pedestrian traffic pose safety challenges in parking lots. Therefore, the new Crown equipped with low-speed braking support systems. In addition to Intelligent Clearance Sonar and Rear Cross Traffic Auto Brake, the new Crown also the first Toyota brand car mounted with rear pedestrian support brake, which detects pedestrians using a rear camera, and in the case of a possible collision, helps to minimize damage by activating alerts and brake control.