Toyota Rolls Out Completely Redesigned Corolla Sport. Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announces the launch of its completely redesigned Corolla Sport in Japan and the improved Corolla Sport (Hatchback), and the start of sales at Toyota Mobility Tokyo Inc., Netz Toyota Toto Co., Ltd, Netz Toyota Tama Co., Ltd., and Toyota dealers across Japan. The introduction of the Corolla Sport as a new model in the Corolla series in June last year, and the adoption of the TNGA platform, has greatly revitalized the design and driving.
Utilizing the TNGA platform and design with Japan roads in mind results in sporty styling with a low center of gravity, enjoyable driving, and responsive handling. The new models are equipped with the latest Toyota Safety Sense, delivering enhanced safety performance. On-board connected services have also been upgraded to include Toyota’s first Display Audio as standard, installed in conjunction with smartphones.
Manufacturer’s Corolla Sport Specification
Corolla Sport Vehicle Outline
Simple and Sporty Style with enhanced visibility
- The TNGA platform creates a striking silhouette with a low center of gravity.
- Wide stance with dynamic molding featuring protruding front and rear wheel flares.
- The lower grille frame seamlessly blends into a large trapezoid and mesh grille to express a powerful and sporty stance.
- LED headlamps integrated in a slight upwardly curve further enhance the sporty, wide face. The WxB grade lends a bright and vibrant impression to the horizontal direction regardless of day and night with two consecutive J-shaped clearance lamps and daylights. The rear of the Corolla has horizontally accented rear combination lights that emphasize wideness.
The WxB grade comes in a new Sparkling Black Pearl Crystal Shine. All three sporty colours are chic and carefully coordinated with grey metallic wheels and mirror covers. S and G-X grades consist of seven colors including the newly developed Celestite Gray Metallic.
- The instrument panel is thin and wide to create a feeling of spaciousness. Meticulously colour-coordinated interior design produces a space that resonates sensitivity and a unified feeling of shape and texture, while the A-pillar enhances visibility.
- Improved front seating comfort is achieved with a sporty seat (standard for WxB), and newly adopted knee space for the rear seats for ease of use.
- The interior colour for the WxB grade, of the Corolla, is available in two colours: Black and White. S, G-X grades come in a chic black interior only.
Pursuing a high-quality ride and pleasure of driving
With further refinements to the TNGA platform, the vehicle features improved chassis rigidity, handling stability, and quietness.
- Enhancing the fun of driving with three powertrains
- The hybrid and gasoline engines have been changed from 1.5 liter to 1.8 liter to achieve seamless acceleration with superior comfort.
- The hybrid vehicle is equipped with an E-Four (electronic four-wheel drive system), enabling smooth switching to 4WD on slippery surfaces such as when accelerating and on snowy roads, contributing to driving stability and fuel efficiency.
- The manual vehicle is equipped with a
|Engine/ Hybrid System||Transmission||Driveline|
|THS II with reduction gear(2ZR-FXE 1.8-liter engine)||Electric continuously variable transmission||Front-wheel drive|
(1.2 liter direct-injection turbo engine)
[with 10-speed sport sequential shiftmatic]
iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission, 6MT)
Gasoline Engine Vehicle
Gasoline Turbo Vehicle
|Corolla Sport G / G”X”||WLTC30.0|
Pursuing the vehicle’s original pleasure of driving that makes you want to ride forever
- In addition to adopting the TNGA platform, the driver’s eye movement, turning posture, line traceability, and other movements r are analyzed and the suspension is optimized to further pursue ease of driving.
- The suspension uses a MacPherson Strut suspension on the front, contributing to a sense of security and stability when turning. The rear adopts a double wishbone suspension to achieve a stable drive that grabs the road surface.
- ACA (Active Cornering Assist) reduces understeering by providing brake force to the inner drive wheel when the accelerator pedal is depressed.
In accordance with the driving environment in Japan, a dedicated design with improved handling
- A design concept unified with global models, and special body developed exclusively for Japan to realize ease of use for customers and various road environments.
- Dynamic design with reduced overall length, width, and wheelbase compared to global models.
- Optimal positioning of door mirrors to achieve a vehicle width with mirrors retracted equivalent to the conventional models.
- Corolla’s minimum turning radius is 5.0 meters, the same as conventional models (G-X grade 15-inch tire-equipped vehicles, 5.3 meters when equipped with 16-17-inch tires).
- The same door opening width as conventional models is achieved through the design of the opening angle of the door.
Enhanced safety functions and safety equipment
- Complete preventive safety equipment
- The latest Toyota Safety Sense, which detects bicycles and pedestrians at night, comes as standard in all Corolla models.
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar [parking support brake (stationary object)]detects walls and other vehicles during low-speed driving in parking lots and other similar environments, helping to reduce collision damage (standard for WxB and S; optional for G-X).
- Rear Cross Traffic Auto Brake [parking support brake (rear approaching vehicle)]detects vehicles approaching from behind and contribute to reduce or mitigate damage from collisions (All optional; Rear Cross Traffic Alert + Blind Spot Monitor only for MT vehicles) (Optional).
- Seven SRS airbags, omni-directional compatibility structure, for emergency collision safety.
Safety and convenience through connectivity
A Toyota-brand first in Japan, Display Audio (DA) is standard on all models. Through DA, customers can connect with smartphones and operate map applications and music via the touch screen display. Customers can also use the conventional on-board navigation function, with a selection of two entry navigation kits and T-Connect navigation kits.
Connection with smartphones
- Through SmartDeviceLinkTM (SDL), smartphones can connect with Bluetooth® with a USB cable for use of navigation applications including TC smartphone navigation and LINE car navigation, as well as music and radio applications on DA. Voice recognition enables destination-setting, sending and receiving LINE messages, music playback, and other functions, improving convenience.
- Apple CarPlay and Android AutoTM can use maps, phone calls, messaging, and music applications through DA by connecting smartphones with a USB cable (Option includes TV; T-Connect contract required at contract).
On-board DCM (Data Communication Module) is standard in all models. Safe and convenient, it is free of charge for five years. (From the sixth year onward, the fee is 3,300 yen/year excluding tax or 300 yen/month excluding tax.)