Shaken – Road worthiness inspection method: At the present scenario, vehicles are important in everyday’s life. It is almost impossible to pass a day without using them. Everything has life and requires maintenance, even vehicles. It is necessary to have expert’s hand on the vehicle after certain period of time to detect any flaws. It is compulsory in Japan for every vehicle either a new vehicle or a used vehicle to undergo Shaken inspection after a certain amount of time. The inspection is carried out to check any defects and illegal modification on the vehicles.
Shaken also known as “Jidosha Kensa Torokuseido”, is basically an inspection on vehicles over 250cc in Japan. The Ministry Of Transport conducts inspection on the vehicle to check whether or not all vehicles on the road are in proper condition and safe to drive. Any illegal modification on the vehicle is also inspected by this inspection. If found the vehicle is not allowed to be driven. Inspection on the vehicle should be carried out at an authorized service garage or at Transport Bureau. Shaken should be performed on the vehicle at least one month prior to the expiry date of previous inspection.
Below are three ways by which the vehicle driver can perform the check:-
1. Customer either takes the vehicle to the car dealer or repair shop that performs a maintenance check and the test at the test center as well.
2. Customer can also perform a maintenance check on the vehicle himself (or at a shop), then take the car to a “shaken shop” that performs the test at the test center.
3. Customer can perform both the maintenance check and the test on the vehicle at the test center himself.
The age and condition of the vehicle affects the vehicle inspection cost. Inspection charges on the vehicle increases, if repairing is done on the vehicle. Inspection and maintenance charges are also applied when Shaken is done at the Test Center.
Charges that are imposed to obtain Shaken certificate:-
- Weight Tax
- Compulsory Insurance
- Recycle tax (only once )
- Revenue stamp
Documents required for inspection:-
- Vehicle registration paper (Shaken-sho)
- Compulsory insurance certificate (Jibaiseki)
- Receipt of vehicle tax (Nouzei shoumei)
- Previous Shaken certificate
- Recycling fee certificate
Documents owner gets at inspection office:-
- Shaken application form
- Vehicle inspection form
- Weight tax form
- Examination result form
Inspection cost increases when Shaken is renewed.
Approximate period of inspection on different vehicles is as below:
- On personal vehicles and two wheelers, it is carried after third year of the new vehicle purchase and successive check after every two years.
- Business use vehicles require a Shaken every year.
- Shaken on light trucks for personal use must renew after every two years, while on Heavy trucks for personal use it must get renewed every year.
- On special vehicles Shaken after every two years.
The vehicle inspection, checks the followings–
- Firstly, exterior- To check too much modifications are not done on the vehicle. The exterior should match with Japanese Transportation Law.
- Secondly, speedometer inspection
- Thirdly, headlamps inspection
- Then, brakes inspection
- Further, wheel alignment- To check whether or not wheels are properly aligned.
- Also, under carriage inspection- To check under carriage along with the suspension.
- Exhaust inspection- To check proper emission of carbon mono-oxide and hydrocarbons.
- Interiors of the vehicle should also be according to Japanese Transportation Law.
- Passenger’s and driver’s side should be in proper condition.
A new Shaken certificate is provided to the owner of the vehicle after the successful inspection. A sticker is also placed on the windscreen of the vehicle. The vehicle is send for repairing and re-testing if does not pass any segment of inspection. If repairing and re-testing on the vehicle is done on the same day, no additional cost is imposed. However, if done on another day fees must be paid again.
Little negligence may lead to a big failure in the future, which in turn cost lots of time and money. So, if you want to explore Japan’s road with your vehicle, get it inspected after a required period of time.