“e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT World Premiere SUV + EV + AI Evolution”
Mitsubishi Motors Lineup at 45th Tokyo Motor Show
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation will celebrate the world debut of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show. The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a new-generation high-performance all-electric crossover SUV, and it allows a glimpse of MMC’s future. For an enhanced driving experience, the e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT combines the very best of Mitsubishi Motors technology with the go-anywhere flexibility of SUVs. Mitsubishi e-EVOLUTION expands MMC’s SUV know-how of EV and all-wheel drive expertise and takes it to a new level with Artificial Intelligence (AI).
The brain of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is an Artificial Intelligence system that augments the driver’s capabilities. An array of sensors allows the AI system to instantly read changes in road and traffic conditions, as well as the driver’s intent. Seamlessly coordinating driver intent with vehicle performance, the system supports drivers of all abilities. By making it easier and safer to control the vehicle, the motoring experience is brought to a new level.
MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) augments driver and vehicle performance
- Triple Motor 4WD system
- Dual Motor Active Yaw Control (AYC)
- High torque electric drive
- Adaptive response characteristics
- Coaching function
MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT uses high-torque and high-performance electric motors, supplied by a high-capacity battery system to deliver the smooth and powerfully responsive performance that distinguishes EVs from ICE-powered vehicles. The triple motor 4WD system employs a single motor to drive the front wheels and a new Dual Motor AYC system that couples two rear motors through an electronically controlled torque-vectoring Active Yaw Control (AYC) unit. Whether driving around town, on expressways, or winding roads, the system always provides crisp and nimble handling that faithfully mirrors driver intent.
A special coaching function allows the AI system to transfer knowledge to the driver, and to unobtrusively enhance the driving expertise. After building a picture of the driver’s skill level. The system constructs a training program that provides advice through voice dialogue and a large dashboard display. As a result, drivers of all abilities quickly experience a vehicle that behaves the way they want it, and soon they find themselves enjoying the driving experience to an even greater degree.
MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT will be one of 12 Mitsubishi models on display. It will be joined by the new Eclipse Cross SUV (Japan market model), unveiled in Japan for the first time, and scheduled for its Japan launch early next year. The Outlander PHEV and other leading MMC models sold in Japan will also be part of the lineup.
AI Personal Assistant:
Mitsubishi Motors onboard AI Personal Assistant builds up a comprehensive understanding of the vehicle’s occupants and delivers a connected motoring experience by providing the right kind of information to make driving safer and less stressful, and by supporting communications between the driver and their family at home.
Main features of AI Personal Assistant:
1) Dialogue System:
- AI Personal Assistant uses the latest in AI technology including voice recognition and natural-language processing. To correctly understand what occupants are saying, and to converse with them in natural-sounding language, even amid all the road noise. Voiceprint technology and person recognition allow the system to identify individual passengers. Learn about them from their speech and behaviour, and to provide services that best match tastes and needs.
- The system allows the driver to voice-control functions such as climate control, wipers, headlights and more. It also provides vehicle status information, including any malfunction alerts, should they occur.
- AI Personal Assistant’s speech recognition uses a hybrid system combining cloud-based with onboard or local processing. The local system provides high speech recognition accuracy, even when there is no network connection, or when network performance is degraded.
- Some of the features described will be a demonstrated at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show.
2) Connectivity with Different Devices and Content:
- AI Personal Assistant supports connectivity with a variety of devices and content. It can, for example, connect with a drone to check traffic conditions ahead. Or to give occupants a birds-eye view of the natural scenery they are passing through.
Smart Speaker Demonstration:
At Mitsubishi Connect area, there will be a demonstration using Amazon Echo with Alexa. And Google Assistant on Google Home VPA-enabled wireless speakers (also known as smart speakers) to show the potential for linking home to car. This is one of the connected car services the company is developing. Amazon Echo with Alexa uses voice commands to play music, access schedules, do online shopping and control smart electrical appliances.
The 45th Tokyo Motor Show will be like no other before for Mitsubishi Motors. A true milestone event where the corporation will wave the flag under new circumstances to usher a new era of long term growth. And sustainable development, returning to where it belongs to better embrace the future.