Everybody is well aware of the fact that the engine coolant goes inside the car radiator. But can we use water instead is a great question to break? Coolant is popularly known as antifreeze. It prevents the liquid present in the radiator from freezing and cracking. It also lowers down the temperature in summer and prevents it from boiling over.
The coolant is a necessity in the vehicle to protect the engine from the engine’s cooling system. If there is an absence of coolant, the car tends to overheat and many parts of the car indeed suffer huge damage. It is an essential liquid for the health and safety of the vehicle after engine oil.
Hence we can conclude that water is a good substitute and there are different variants available.
What is the coolant?
It is basically a liquid that is useful for the removal of heat from a system. Moreover, it is also useful in regulating the temperature of the vehicle.
There are different types of coolant and yet designed for different engines.
Different types of coolant
It is always essential that you use the variation that is best suited for your vehicle.
There are three different types of coolant which are as follows:
- Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)
- Organic Acid Technology (OAT)
- Hybrid Organic acid Technology (HOAT)
We just need to know which type is better for the optimal performance of the engine.
It is important to note that:
- Do not change the type of antifreeze without consulting your car user.
- Do not mix all in one. Instead of boosting their properties, they will result in poor performance.
- The coolant is concentrated. We need to mix it with distilled water, generally, the ratio is 50:50. But when the climate is cold the ratio can be 60:40.
Inorganic Acid Technology
Inorganic acid technology is usually bright green in color. It is generally used in old cars. It needs change every 2 years or 30000 miles whichever is sooner. And it has anti-corrosion properties that protect the metal parts such as the radiator and engine.
Organic Acid Technology
It is usually orange to dark green in color. It is the most common and popular type of technology. Technology has corrosion inhibitors and additives to prevent the formation of rust. It lasts longer.
Hybrid Organic acid Technology
It is usually yellow or orange in color. This advanced technology is basically for new cars and is a mixture of the other two. It prevents rust and has additives for greater aluminum protection.
Can use water as a coolant in your car?
In case of emergency, water is still better than drive without having any liquid in your radiator. This can cause the engine overheating and if we still keep on driving. It can damage many parts of the car.
Using water can be a temporary solution until we get to shop. The adequate mixture for your car’s health is 50/50 mix. Mild weather is a better scenario where we can use water instead of coolant. In case the temperature is cold or hot, using water is not helpful.
- Therefore, We can use water only in case of emergencies.
- Never use water if the temperature outside is really low.
- Doesn’t stress the engine too much as the engine tends to overheat?
- Drive slowly, not for too long.
- The engine overheats, stop and wait until it cools off.
- If there is a need, add more before driving on.
If you are looking to buy Used Cars, Machinery, Bus, Trucks, Parts from Japan. We provide high-quality used vehicles directly from Japan.
Please visit our website: www.japanesecartrade.com
Check more useful blog pages: blog.japanesecartrade.com/blog