Carburetor Cleaning is the most common problem especially when it comes to a small engine. The carburetor is basically a device in an internal engine for mixing air with a fine spray of liquid fuel. It is basically on all types of engines. So it is necessary to go through carburetor cleaning prerequisites to avoid any kind of hassle.
When the engine is in the station for a long period of time, the fuel starts to break down. So it becomes vital to replace the fuel before you start, so it is one of the carburetor cleaning prerequisites otherwise, we just recreate troubles.
Following are the tools considered as carburetor cleaning prerequisites
- Flat screwdrivers
- Wire brush
- Needle nose pliers
- Socket set
Following are the supplies needed
- Choke cleaner and carb cleaner
- Parts cleaner but it is optional
- Carburetor cleaner (optional)
- Carb rebuild kit (necessary)
The carburetor should be well maintained and cleaned on a regular basis. It is basically the lifeline of vehicles. The process of cleaning is very simple and does not take more than 30 minutes for the same.
Steps of Carburetor Cleaning
Step 1: Removal of Air Filter so that carburetor is accessible: Get along the rags together with spray lubricant and carburetor and choke cleaner. While doing the cleaning, locate the throttle control attached to the Carb which allows operating manually and running the engine.
Step 2: On the base of carburetor, place some rags because the chemicals present can harm the pained surface, and the rags help in case of any run-off.
Step 3: Wear Safety goggles: It is important to wear safety goggles while you spray the outside of the carburetor as well as the connections and other attached moving parts like throttle area linkage. Let the fluid spread properly and then wipe it off. In the case of sludge and oils, it is better to use a small wire brush before spray dies.
Step 4: It is pertinent to note that before we start the car, spray in a small amount of carb cleaner, then remove the rags and any other tool from the engine area and start it again.it is important to spray in short spirts and run the engine faster and return to normal and spray again.
Step 5: Allow the car to run for some minutes at normal. Then turn off the engine and it requires reinstallation of the air filter. Now again start the car and let it run for a few minutes unless it becomes hot and let it completely run through the system.
Suggestions to keep in mind
- Change the fuel filter on a regular basis to remove unwanted debris.
- If during cleaning, engine stalls out, Wait for a while and restart.
- Fuel additives can be added into the tank so as to keep the fuel system clean and carburetor flowing at its pace.
- While spraying, always wear safety goggles as it can damage eyes.
- Always be cautious about the location of moving parts like belts and fan blades.
- Do not spray lubricant into the carb; it is advisable to use it on the outside connections area for cleaning.