Hino Melpha is a medium-duty bus produced by the Japanese vehicle manufacturer J-Bus. The range has been primarily available as a tourist coach since 1988.
A medium-sized tourist bus suitable for people, fuel consumption, environment, and expanding needs. The Japan Institute of Design Promotion (JDP) recognized the Poncho’s merits after comprehensive testing, presenting Hino with JDP’s 2006 Good Design Award. The Hino Poncho, along with the Melpha, its bigger sibling, is in the country for Hino Motor Sales Australia to assess its suitability for the local market.
The Melpha will be a much more familiar sight on roads, but still carries Hino’s famed technological innovation throughout its chassis, drivetrain, and body. The first of 19 brand-new FD240-based coaches delivered to Melbourne-based Mee’s Bus Line boasts a 45-seat capacity, a six-speed transmission, an anti-lock braking system with the anti-slip regulator, and cruise control.
- Seat Capacity: 35 + Driver.
- Engine: 6.4L Turbo intercooled common rail fuel system.
- Transmission: Allison 5 speed, Automatic Transmission.
- Power (kW): 169kW.
- Torque (Nm): 657Nm.
- Front/Rear Suspension: 2 Airbags with Stabilizer Bar.
Operation performance, maintenance performance
- Pro Shift (6-speed AMT): With AMT, there is no need for clutch and gear shift operation, and easy drive is realized with two pedal operations of accelerator and brake.
- Combination Meter: Incorporating a universal design, we aim to increase the diameter of the speedometer and engine tachometer, and improve the visibility by further expanding the characters in the meter.
- Multi Information: Easy-to-understand display of vehicle information. Instantaneous fuel consumption, Average speed, Amount of soot deposited, Vehicle maintenance information.
- Turning Performance: A light and comfortable footwork is realized by optimizing the wheel base while securing a spacious indoor space. Even on narrow roads, turning is good.
- Wheelbase: 4,490mm.
- Width: 2,340mm.
- Height: 3,140mm.
- Ground Clearance: 210mm.
- GVM: 9,955kg.
- Tare: 7,520kg.
- Melpha 7 7m (1998-2004)
- Melpha 9m (2004–present).
- Melpha 9 9m (1999-2004).
- PB-RR7JJAA (2004)
- BDG-RR7JJBA (2007)
- SDG-RR7JJCA (2011)